Thursday, June 11, 2009

LOVE YOU FOREVER by Robert Munsch


After reading , Love You Forever by Robert Munsch and fighting back the tears yet again, I am delighted to be able to connect with such a wonderful book. This beautifully written children's book is without a doubt written to appeal more to adults than to children. My daughter does not yet understand how much this book moves me when I read it to her. She gets more of a thrill when all the letters fall down from the coconut tree than why I have to pause towards the end of the book. I can only hug her and tell her… “I love you forever, I love you for always, as long as I am living, my baby you’ll be.” One day when she is a mother, she will connect with this book, and we will be able to experience the significance of the book together. She will be able to realize how much a parent endures, protects, worries and loves a child even a when the child no longer is a “child” be society’s standards. To me, my daughter will always be my baby. LoveYou Forever targets many age groups. The book depicts the love of parent towards a child and in the latter part of a parent’s life; the child reciprocates that lasting love. Even though the child might not fully comprehend the grandeur of this love at this stage of their life, as the child grows and develops mentally the story will be significant and maybe even unforgettable. This book is definitely more appealing to adults than to children. It meets the developmental needs of the adults because children do not yet grasp the true meaning of unconditional love. Once true understanding of such a concept is understood by the child, this book can be appealing equally to both.

No comments:

Post a Comment