Thursday, June 11, 2009

True Story

I came to Denton, Texas a day early to get acclimated with the university before my summer institute classes began. As I unpacked, I realized that I forgot to pack toothpaste. Thinking that Target was a hop, skip, and a jump away, I drove to the town of Flower Mound, Texas (only 14 miles away). I proceeded to drive through the beautiful scenery when suddenly; a bright flash of lightning struck nearby only to be followed by a loud roll of thunder. It took me almost 40 minutes to drive to Target due to the rain. There were moments when I could not see the road in front of me. I couldn't pull over because that road was somewhat narrow and had no shoulder to pull over. After what seemed to be an eternity, I was relived to actually see the Target sign up ahead. I got off the car, only to be greeted by some sirens blaring throughout the area. I ran into Target where the manager greeted me at the door and informs me that a tornado has touched down in the area and that we need to go to a safe place within the store. He leads me to the office area of the store where many customers and employees have been diverted due to the circumstances. Others have been lead to either dressing rooms, storage facilities, or the office area to ride out the storm. I call my husband and fill him in on the events that have transpired only to be criticized. He says to me, “Target, you are at Target?” Incredulously he adds, “Don’t you think that is a bad place to be because tornadoes usually aim for a “Target”!”Needless to say, I survived and I say to myself, Welcome to Tornado Alley and Denton, Texas!!! What a welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment